- Celebration of UN-designated Int’l Day of Peace - all of September
Visit PeaceQuestGreaterLansing.org for more information about PeaceQuest Greater Lansing events.
Featured Speaker: Zach Tilson, Ambassador Institute of Economics and Peace
- Java Cafe` Global Conversation - Tuesday, September 17, 7:00 p.m. East Lansing Public Library.
Register at https://www.peaceedcenter.org/building-a-peace-economy-conference/
- Building a Peace Economy: Shrinking the Pentagon for People and the Planet - September 21 (Int’l Day of Peace) GL-UNA is a sponsor of this event.
- GL-UNA SPECIAL EVENT: A Multi-Media Perspective on Paths to Peace- U.N. and the U.S. - in Service of Refugees/ A Path to Democracy in South Africa - Thursday, September 26, 6:00 p.m.
The LookOut! Art Gallery, Snyder-Philips Hall, MSU. Parking across street near auditorium.
See below for more information.
Featured Speaker: Dr. Phil Howard
- Java Cafe` Global Conversation - Tuesday, October 1 - Food Industry and Food Justice
MSU Kellogg Center (Mark your calendar! more info to follow)
- UN Day Dinner and Celebration - Sunday, October 27, 2019, 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Human Rights Day program - Sunday, December 1, 4:00 p.m.
SPECIAL GL-UNA EVENT
held in partnership with the LookOut! Art Gallery, MSU
-U.N. and the U.S. - in Service of Refugees/ A Path to Democracy in South Africa
6:00 pm Special viewing opportunity of exhibit: "Reframing South Africa: Quilts and Photographs"
6:30 pm Brief presentation about exhibit by LookOut! Art Gallery faculty
7:00 pm A Conversation regarding United Nations and the U.S. Government - in Service of Refugees
Jana Mason, Senior Advisor for External Relations and Government Affairs of the United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees (UNHCR). She represents the agency's interests with the U.S. government - particularly the State Department and Congress. (See below for more information)
LookOut! Art Gallery, Snyder Hall, MSU, Second Floor
For parking and building accessibility information, see https://tinyurl.com/ybplk4oo
This is event is FREE and Open to All.
For more information about the exhibit: http://rcah.msu.edu/events/lookout-quilts-photos-south-africa.html
Jana Mason is Senior Advisor for External Relations and Government Affairs at the Washington, D.C. office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). She represents the agency’s interests with the U.S. government—particularly the State Department and Congress—and with nongovernmental organizations. Prior to joining UNHCR in 2008, Jana was Director of Government Relations and Advocacy at the International Rescue Committee (IRC). She was previously with the U.S. Committee for Refugees for 11 years, where she served as policy analyst for the Asia/Pacific region and advocated for refugee protection and assistance. During this time, she assessed refugee and asylum situations in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Japan, China, and elsewhere. Jana has worked in the refugee arena since 1983, which included a position as assistant director of refugee programs for the State of Virginia. She has a bachelor’s degree from Boston University, a master’s degree from the University of Virginia, and a law degree from Georgetown University.
Looking for other ways to actively support the vitally important work of the United Nations? Join UNA-USA and receive advocacy alerts for actions you can take to make a difference in our world.